Register for Classics Day 2019 here.
Want more information? Have a group of eager Latin students who want to come next year?
Contact Classics Day Director and Assistant Professor of Classics Evelyn Adkins at email@example.com or 216-368-0485.
Classics Day Archive
Classics Day 2019 is Friday, September 27!
Classics Day was inaugurated in 2017 to foster connections between the Classics communities of University Circle and the wider metropolitan area and suburbs of Cleveland. On Classics Day, middle and high school students come to Case Western Reserve University to experience the worlds of ancient Greece and Rome hands-on and face-to-face. Activities have included:
- Presentations by Roman legionary reenactors from Legio XIIII Gemina
- Opportunities to handle real, ancient artifacts in the Cleveland Museum of Art
- A visit to Special Collections at CWRU’s Kelvin Smith Library to see rare books, cuneiform tablets, codices, and papyri, and learn the basics of epigraphy using squeezes (paper impressions of ancient inscriptions)
- Tours of the Cleveland Museum of Art’s Greek and Roman collections by specialists in ancient art and archaeology
- A scavenger hunt in the Cleveland Museum of Art
- Hands-on workshops on Roman clothing (learn to make your own toga and stola!)
- A Virgil reading in the Armor Court at the Cleveland Museum of Art
- Lunch provided by the Baker-Nord Center for the Humanities and the Department of Classics
Classics Day is made possible by the Department of Classics, the Baker-Nord Center for the Humanities, the Cleveland Museum of Art, and the enthusiastic participation of our local middle and high school teachers and students. Classics Day 2019 is also supported by a Classics Everywhere grant from the Society for Classical Studies.